Balram Prasad Raut
Assistant Professor& Advocate
DATE OF BIRTH 28 April 1976.
PERMANENT ADDRESS Zone-Janakpur, District-Dhanusha,
V.D.C. - Deodiha, Ward No. -2.
RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS Srijananagar-17, Bhaktapur, Nepal
MOBILE +977 9851144696
MARITAL STATUS Married
LANGUAGES Maithili, Nepali, English, & Hindi
A. EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION
I. 2004 – 05 Master of Laws (LL. M.), First Class First-Gold Medalist from Nepal Law Campus, Faculty of Law, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal.
II. 2001 – 03 Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), from Nepal Law Campus, Faculty of Law, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal.
III. 1997 – 99 Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), from R. R. Multiple Campus, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Janakpur, Tribhuvan University, Nepal.
B. JOB EXPERIENCE & RESEARCH RECORDS:
(a) From 2011, Permanent Faculty (Assistant Professor), Nepal Law Campus, Faculty of Law, Tribhuvan University.
(b) From August 2014 to June 2015, Civil Society Scholar, Open Society Foundations, United Kingdom, doing research on "Legalization of Prostitution in Nepal: Prospects and Challenges."
(c) From June 2013 to June 2014, Junior Research Fellow, Alliance for Social Dialogue (ASD) and Nepa School of Social Sciences and Humanities, Kathmandu, Nepal. Research title was “Socio-cultural Dynamics and Understanding Human Rights in Nepal.”
(d) February 2009 to February 2011: I worked as a Consultant in Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Nepal Office.
(e) 2008 I worked as a Consultant with Chemonics International/USAID.
(f) I worked in United Nations Mission in Nepal (UNMIN) for one year from July 2007 to June 2008
(g) 2007 March-July: Worked as a Legal Assistant in Information, Counseling and Legal Assistance Project (ICLA) of Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC), Project Office, Nepalgunj, Banke District.
(h) September 2005 to March 2007, Worked as a Human Rights Officer at Human Rights Project of Nepal Bar Association, Funded by Norwegian Bar Association, Norway.
(i) August 2004 to March 2005: Worked as a Support Researcher in Centre for Legal Research and Resource Development
C. Papers Presentation:
· I recently presented a review paper on Bill of Criminal Code 2011 and Bill of Criminal Procedural Code 2011. It was related with the Legal Provisions to be revised from Minority and Public Interest Perspectives. This paper was presented in the programmed organized by the Nepal Constitution Foundation, Kathmandu, Nepal.
· I presented a paper on “An Analysis of Cyber Crime from Jurisprudential Perspective: In Context of Cyber Law of Nepal”, LAW SCHOOL BANARAS HINDU UNIVERSITY, INDIA, in International Conference on “International Environmental Law, Trade Law, Information Technology Law and Legal Education”, 2-3 March, 2013.
· I have also presented a paper on “POLICY ADVOCACY AND ITS LINKAGES WITH THE LAW MAKING PROCESS IN NEPAL”. This paper was presented in the programme organized by Alliance for Social Dialogue (ASD) in September 2012 for the policy making process in Nepal.
D. Research and Fellowship, Trainings and Participation:
- December 2014- August 2015: Mini-Research grant was awarded by Research Division, Tribhuvan University, Nepal. The title of my research is "Impact of WTO in Policy Making Process of Nepal."
- Currently, I am a Civil Society Scholar (CSS), for the period of August 2014 to June 2015. Civil Society Scholar Award (CSSA) was awarded by Open Society Foundations, United Kingdom and USA and doing research on "Legalization of Prostitution in Nepal: Prospects and Challenges."
- From June 2013 to June 2014, Junior Research Fellow, Alliance for Social Dialogue (ASD), Kathmandu and Nepa School of Social Sciences and Humanities, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- 2005-2006: Student Fellowship, awarded by Research and Media Centre against Corruption, Kathmandu Nepal. The title of my research was "Corruption Laws in Nepal: Concept, History and Judicial Practices."
- Diplomas training on "Electoral Systems and Electoral Rights", Organized by Election Commission of Nepal and Kathmandu University of Nepal (From 1-21 March 2015), Kathmandu Nepal.
- Capacity Development Programme for Teachers in Administrative Law and Governance (From 15-21, 2014), Organized by Centre for Transparency and Accountability in Governance (CTAG), National Law University Delhi, India and National Academy of Law Teachers (NALT), National Law University Delhi, India.
- 25th South Asia Teaching Session on International Humanitarian Law, Conducted by International Committee of Red Cross, 18 – 23 September 2014, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- From January 17-21, 2014: “Human Rights Orientation Course”, conducted by Alliance for Social Dialogue (ASD) & Centre for Human Rights and Democracy, held in Kathmandu, Nepal
- From February 4-8, 2013: “Training on Human Rights Course” by Alliance for Social Dialogue (ASD), held in Chitwan, Nepal.
- From September 16-23, 2013: “Debate training” by Alliance for Social Dialogue (ASD)
- From July 12 to 25, 2010: I attended the “SEMINAR ON Criminal Laws and Practical Procedures” on behalf of the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Nepal Office as a Programme Officer to coordinate between the Nepali delegation and JICA’s official, conducted by Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) in Tokyo, Japan.
- From July 25 2009 to August 9 2009: I attended the “SEMINAR ON CIVIL CODE AND RELATED LAWS” on behalf of the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Nepal Office as a Programme Officer to coordinate between the Nepali delegation and JICA’s official, conducted by Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) in Tokyo, Japan.
- February 2008: Three-day Training Programme for United Nations Mission in Nepal Language Assistants from 27.02.2008 to 29.02.2008 at UNMIN Headquarters, Kathmandu, Nepal
- November 1, 2006 to December 22,2006: International Training Programme on Manpower Research ( Conducted by Government of India, Planning Commission, Institute of Applied Manpower Research, Narela, Delhi, India)
- December 11, 2006 to December15, 2006: International Training Programme on Manpower Research for the Officer from various Departments and Ministries of the Developing Countries attended the One-Week module on, Administrative and Managerial Aspects of Human Resources at the HCM Rajasthan State Institute of Public Administration, Jaipur, India.
- 27th May- 1st June 2006: Legal Aid Lawyers' Training Organized By Nepal Bar Association and European Union, held in Pokhara, Nepal.
- English Language Training, at Level 7th, At Bud Language Institute, Ason, Kathmandu.
· March 2-3, 2013: International Conference on International Environmental Law, Trade Law, Information Technology law and Legal Education, organized by Faculty of Law, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India.
· 26-27 January 2013: The International Conference on Legal Issues, Organized by Nepal Bar Association and LAWASIA. In this conference, the issues of Rule of Law, Anti-Corruption, Money Laundering, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Independent Bar, Continuous Legal Education, Legal Aid, Pro Bono, Ethics of Profession, ICT E-Commerce Privacy/Data Protection, Legal Expectations in Foreign Investment and UN Business, Human Rights and Corporate Governance were discussed.
Law Professor and Law Practioner, Public Interest Law activist and Teaching
F. Area of Working Interest:
Law and Economic Development, Public Interest Law, Rule of Law, International Human Rights, Transitional Justice and Humanitarian Law
Social service, writing of articles and books, academic research and teaching
H. Computer Skills:
Well trained in office software packages including web-based management system.
I. Publications of Legal Articles in National as well as international law journals and books
- "Understanding of Socio-cultural Human Rights by Intermediaries of Nepal", in INDIAN JOURNAL OF SOCIO LEGAL STUDIES (IJSLS), An International Bi-annual Refereed Research Journal, Special Issue on Law, Humanities and Social Issues-2014 , edited Mr. Sharad Chandra Mishra, Faculty of Law, Banaras Hindu University Varanasi, India, 2014.
- "Status of Socio-Cultural Rights in Nepal: A Bird Eye View on decisions of Supreme Court of Nepal", in INDIAN JOURNAL OF SOCIO LEGAL STUDIES (IJSLS), An International Bi-annual Refereed Research Journal, Special Issue on Law, Humanities and Social Issues-2014 , edited Mr. Sharad Chandra Mishra, Faculty of Law, Banaras Hindu University Varanasi, India, 2014.
- "An Analysis of Domestic Violence Laws of Nepal from Perspective of Women's Rights", LAAC LENS : mainstreaming for empowerment of women, Legal Aid and Consultancy Centre, Kathmandu Nepal, 2014.
- "Notions of Legal system," in Emerging Issues and Legal Framework in India, edited by Suresh Mani Tripathi, The Readers Paradise: Educational Publishers, New Delhi India, 2014.
- "Analysis of Law Relating to Cyber Crime in Nepal," in Contemporary Issues in International Law, edited by B. C. Nirmal and Rajanish Kumar Singh, Stayam Publication, New Delhi, India, 2014.
- Co author of "Concept of Criminalization, Penalization and Principle of Legality in Nepali Judicial Discourse", in NJA Law Journal, Kathmandu, Nepal 2013.
- Debate Manual for Teachers of Universities 2013. This publication has been prescribed in the syllabus of Mid-western University of Nepal.
- Ballots of Nepal Bar Show Road towards Federalism, Reporter, A weekly news paper, 28 January, 2013.
- Universal Jurisdiction: A Threat to Sovereignty of State, Reporter, A weekly news paper, 14 January, 2013.
- "Criteria to Measure Mens Rea to Impose Corporate Criminal Liability, in Nepal Bar Council Journal, Kathmandu, Nepal 2011.12.
- Criminal Justice and Victim’s Rights in Future Constitution (Supreme Bar Journal 2009, Kathmandu: Supreme Court Bar Association).
- Corruption: Concept, Theory and Judicial Practices in Nepal (Nepal Bar Council Law Journal 2008, Kathmandu: Nepal Bar Council).
- Identity Crisis of Nepalese Legal System,( KANOON, Lawyers Club.2007).
- Battered Women Syndrome (NYAYADOOT, Nepal Bar Association, 2007).
- Author of Madhesi and Human Rights (Tahalka Nepal (Local Magazine), Janakpur, Nepal, 1999.
J. Training skills
I also use to give training to the lawyers in human rights and humanitarian laws, fair trial, access to justice, role of the lawyers in the protection of public interests as well as in current political issues for brainstorming the youths.
K. Country visited:
India, Thailand and Japan.
L. AWARD AND RIZES
- Nepal Biddha Bhushan (Second), it was awarded by President of Nepal for securing the highest score in Master Degree’s examination in Laws (LL.M.).
- Nepal Bar Council Prize( Awarded for achieving the First Class First in Faculty of Law, Tribhuwan University)
- Narayan Devkotas Prize (Awarded for securing the highest marks in first result of Tribhuwan University).
- Awarded for student fellowship by Research and Media Centre against Corruption (ReMAC) to write the thesis paper of LL.M Second Year.
- Awarded by Gentle Student Scholarship time to time by the Tribhuvan University for securing the highest marks in my batch.
- Second Position (Quiz competition at Inter District Level of Whole Nepal, 2002)